top of page

Block Parties


Block Parties are recreational street closures for residents to hold an annual event for their neighborhood.  In order to hold a block party, you must obtain a permit from the Department of Transportation to close your street. Street closures can occur from 8 am to 10 pm on the day of your event.   Applications can be obtained from our office. Once the application is completed. please return it to our office for processing.  We encourage you to submit your application at least 30 days in advance.

If this is your first time applying for a block party, our office asks that you communicate with your neighbors for support of the event. A house meeting to discuss dates & times is also highly recommended.

You may also request that a fire engine and crew from the Chicago Fire Department come by the Block Party.  A form for this request is part of the application packet. As other priorities may arise for the Chicago Fire Department, we cannot guarantee their presence even if they have confirmed their attendance.

In spring 2016, The Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events announced that the Jumping Jack application will now be an online process. Applications will no longer be accepted in paper form, email, or fax. You can access the Jumping Jack application on the City of Chicago’s website.

bottom of page